Increase font size
Decrease font size
FREN 101: Elementary French I
Offered fall 2013
This course introduces the essential elements of French structure and vocabulary and aspects of French and francophone culture. Aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing are stressed in that order.
A textbook and online learning center access are required:
Manley, Smith, McMinn, and Prévost, Horizons, 5th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center.
There are two options for purchase; both provide eighteen months of access to the iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center:
- Option 1 (Hardcover text, all else electronic): Horizons, 5th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center 3-Semester Printed Access Card, ISBN 9781111699482. You may purchase this option at www.cengagebrain.com or at Friday Center Books & Gifts in person, online, or by mailing or faxing in the book order form. Refer to the online ordering site for current book prices.
- Option 2 (all electronic): ebook version of Horizons, 5th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center 3-Semester Instant Access Download, ISBN 0840048742. Purchase this option at Heinle Learning Center.
Please see Textbooks for textbook purchase dates.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 or Mac OS X
- CPU: 233MHz
- RAM: 128MB
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher
- PC: Internet Explorer 7.x or higher, or Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Mac: Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Safari 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Network Connection: A high-speed connection with throughput of 256 Kbps or more is recommended to use audio and video components.
- Equipment: You will need speakers and microphone or a headset to listen to audio and video components and for recording activities. For best performance, we recommend you use a USB microphone for partner recording activities.
- Plug-ins: If you do not have the latest Flash Player already installed, you may download it at Flash Player.
- Students will be required to attend a virtual (online) classroom session each Tuesday at 6 pm.
- Instructor: Valerie Pruvost, PhD
- Department: Romance Languages and Literatures
- Credit hours: 3
- View a sample course syllabus.