FREN 101: Elementary French I
Offered Fall semester 2014 (august 19-December 12)
This course introduces the essential elements of French structure and vocabulary and aspects of French and francophone culture. Aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing are stressed in that order.
A textbook and online learning center access are required:
Manley, Smith, McMinn, and Prévost, Horizons, 6th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center.
There are two options for purchase; both will provide you access to the iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center:
- Option 1 (Hardcover text, all else electronic): Horizons, 6th edition Bundle: Text + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center Printed Access Card, ISBN 9781305121690. You may purchase this option at www.cengagebrain.com or at Friday Center Books & Gifts in person, online, or by mailing or faxing in the book order form. Refer to the online ordering site for current book prices.
- Option 2 (all electronic): ebook version of Horizons, 6th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center. You can choose to purchase 6-month access (ISBN 9781305372177) or 24-month access (ISBN 9781285457444) to the online book. Purchase this option at Heinle Learning Center.
Please see Textbooks for textbook purchase dates.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 or Mac OS X
- CPU: 233MHz
- RAM: 128MB
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher
- PC: Internet Explorer 7.x or higher, or Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Mac: Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Safari 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Network Connection: A high-speed connection with throughput of 256 Kbps or more is recommended to use audio and video components.
- Equipment: You will need speakers and microphone or a headset to listen to audio and video components and for recording activities. For best performance, we recommend you use a USB microphone for partner recording activities.
- Plug-ins: If you do not have the latest Flash Player already installed, you may download it at Flash Player.
- Students will be required to attend a virtual (online) classroom session each Tuesday at 6 pm.
- Instructor: Valérie Pruvost, PhD
- Department: Romance Languages and Literatures
- Credit hours: 3
- View a sample course syllabus.